Ceroc at Riley Smith Hall, Tadcaster 29/11/22


I thought tonight's class would be poorly attended with lots of women over. How wrong was I? England was playing in the World Cup which clashed with tonight’s class. For that reason, some of the women were not there. However, the class was well attended. In true Tadcaster style, the class started about half full. By the end of the beginner's class, the room was full. This venue sees most people arriving during the beginner's class. There must have been around 80 people here with a few men over. For future reference when football is on women should still go as we needed you tonight.

The classes tonight were taught by the talented Jo Hart. What a lovely teacher she is. Very consistent and easy for everyone to follow. One thing she is good at is commanding the room. You know she is ready to teach when the loud fan goes off if it is on. She can also make the room go quiet when people start talking loudly. I do not know how she does it but you can just tell when people concentrate. So far for me, she is the best teacher.


I was on taxi duty with the lovely Maggie Oliver so I can not comment on the intermediate class. Tonight there was one beginner man. This was good as we could give him one on one recap and he has us two to ask as many questions as he likes. He can also ask us to go over any moves that he wants to spend more time on. This recap went well and we finished with just enough time for him to have a look at what was taught in the intermediate class. We did know a couple do the intermediate class for the first time and afterwards, we did ask them how they got on. They said that they were tied up in knots at one point but managed to do two of the moves which is good. I always make a point of checking up on those who do the intermediate class for the first time. It can be tricky when moving up as there is a big jump in the standard of moves taught.

The music at this venue is always different from the week before. Jo Hart DJ’s as well and is very good. She does work with a set playlist as she prefers to go around and dance with everyone from the beginners to the advanced dancers. If you would like a request make sure you ask her the week before as the music for the night is already done. I love that each week the music is different and that she plays a lot of new tunes as well as older tunes. For me and my taste, she is the best DJ.

This venue is very much an intermediate to advanced standard. The average standard is intermediate plus. There is a good turnover of beginners and most of them progress into intermediate dancers. I had some lovely dances tonight.

Overall considering the football was on I thought it was a good night. Good turnout and great music were played. I had some lovely dances and I can not wait to do it all over again next week. Next week I get to join in with the intermediate class as I am not on taxi duty.

Follow me on Instagram @lizzie_mcandrew

Comments