Stockport Town Hall Freestyle (19/11/22)


I decided to venture outside of my regular venues for dancing this time. I had heard from a few about a freestyle at Stockport. A friend of mine said that she was going and had managed to get a carload of people to go. I attended with my lovely Dad, Thanks Dad for driving. This was also bundled in with a day of shopping and visiting my Aunt and Uncle in Manchester. This was a great way to end the day and well worth the trip.

This freestyle is run by Revolution Dance which is run by Keith Davis. I have heard of Keith Davis running various hotel modern jive weekenders in Yorkshire. These are always well-attended and highly recommended.



The venue is a great venue. It is Stockport Town Hall and the inside is grand. The ceiling is architectural. It is a big room which can hold 2 or 3 times the amount of the Riley Smith Hall in Tadcaster. The floor was a lovely wooden dancefloor and felt more like a ballroom dancefloor.

I walked in and was immediately greeted by a room full of dancers or what I thought was a full room. Turns out there was still a lot more to come. In the end, there must have been at least 200 to 300 people there. This venue is about an hour away from my home so I was able to meet some new and different dancers. I also saw dancers that I have met at the Ceroc Southport dance weekenders as well as dancers I haven’t seen in years. All in all, a busy night. There were a lot of dancers from my local venues there and I couldn’t believe how many were there.

The standard of dancing was good. Those I knew were much the same but some of the other dancers that I’d never seen or only met at Southport were amazing. Much better than my local venues. As for the music, there were 3 DJs. The first one was the best as they played a mix of older tunes and modern ones. There were more modern tunes played with this one. As for the other two, they were very similar with the tunes being more of the older tunes which were the ’60s, the ‘70s, and the ’80s. there were some modern tunes played but leaned more towards the older tunes. I dance to almost anything and everything. I do prefer the modern tunes however if you get the right dancer the older tunes do work. I love it when music allows me to be more expressive by having breaks or changes in the tune.

Overall, I had a great time. Would I go back? Only if there was a group going or I knew some people there. Not worth the trip to be there on my own. I can dance with the dancers but it is nice to have others to talk to every once in a while, for a song. It is a long way to go if the night turns out that time to be a disappointment. Having others there helps make the night if the night is not good. As this was my first time, I can only make a judgment based on what I'd seen in one night. I will go a few more times to be able to make a better judgment of whether or not just me going on my own is worth it.

My next adventure dancing afar will be next week. So far, I’m planning on going to the Ukrainian club in Manchester on Saturday (all being well). My friend said she is going so it should be a good night. I have been many years ago and had a fantastic time. This one is run by Ceroc Addiction so I know it will be good just being Ceroc. I’m undecided about Friday as I've heard that Tapton Hall in Sheffield is on Friday. I've never been and since I have the weekend off work (I work in retail) I thought I might give it a go and see what that is like. It is run by Ceroc South Yorkshire. I think it will be a good night being Ceroc but having never been I don’t know.

That’s it from me till next time. Have a lovely week.

Follow me on Instagram @lizzie_mcandrew

Comments