Ceroc ‘Scorch’ Southport Weekender 14/06/13 – 17/06/13


This weekend was the Southport Weekender. This is where about 2,000 people gather to mainly dance Modern Jive. There are lessons in the day and a massive freestyle in the evening. The classes range from beginner to advance and are taught by the top teachers for Ceroc. It is insane and really fun. If you have never been to a weekender I highly recommend it.

At weekenders there are two rooms doing classes and another doing chilled / blues freestyle music and special music hours during the day. In the evening there is a main room doing mainly upbeat music, a room doing mainly tango music and another doing blues / chill out music.
I had so much fun and met so many people. I surprised that so many of the people who go to my local venues were there. It was nice to dance with others that are not from my area as they had a different set of moves. I really enjoyed myself.

This time I spent most of the day doing the classes and in the evening in the blues / chill out /pub. The best lesson I did was called Unravel the Illusion which was taught by Kieran and Charlie. That class was taught in the Cyclone Latin Quarter. This was really good as it was an advance class there wasn’t many people doing it and from what I could see most of them were fixed couples.

The freestyle in the evening was really good. On the Saturday night there was a cabaret which was really good. Before the cabaret we did the Ceroc’s first Nu-Line dance. There wasn’t that many doing it but I did it and I really enjoyed doing it. This makes me think that not many venues up here in the north have been learning it. It sounds like there were lots more doing it the Camber weekend where it was first done. There was 3 different set of dancers. The first two were doing Morden Jive to a high standard and had won various competitions. The last one did this routine at a competition but didn’t win. It was a cross between Street Dancing and Modern Jive. This one was my favourite one.

I’ve been to including this one 7 weekenders. Apart from my first weekender most of the classes have had men over. This is really good as the men get to see what it’s like for the ladies to move round the classes. This happens because the men need to learn the moves and the ladies only have to follow.


This was a great weekend and I have booked for the one in September. I can’t wait for that one. If you would like any information on weekenders and / or to book one check out the Ceroc Escape Weekenders site.

Comments

  1. After reading your post I really excited to join Weekender. The freestyle is really good and you divided three category main room doing mainly upbeat music, a room doing mainly tango music and another doing blues / chill out music is an interesting part of this Weekender.

    California Summer Camps

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment